We struggle through life constantly trying to find each other with plaintive cries of Marco and Polo. We convene for pots of tea and discussions about everything and nothing. Somehow goats found their way into our repartee. There promises to be no logic to our content, just bits and pieces that we find on our travels.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Procrastination and Pretty Pictures


 
I've been wasting time recently playing link tag on the interwebz trying to dredge up bits and pieces that may be relevant to my thesis. Today playing that game I came across Belgian artist Carsten Höller.


He is a practicing contemporary artist who also holds a doctorate in biology which does so tickle my fancy for intersections of science and art. 


I think his art holds a good balance between well crafted and realised form and whimsy. He works across a whole gamut of media, which also makes me happy. 

Höller's work also relies heavily on user involvement and participation, an idea which is becoming more and more interesting to me. I wish I could experience his slides first hand. He has installed giant tubular slippery dips in galleries across the world. It just looks like such fun, the way art should be. You can view an interactive 360 degree photo and read more about his slide at the Tate Modern here. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment