We struggle through life constantly trying to find each other with plaintive cries of Marco and Polo. We convene for pots of tea and discussions about everything and nothing. Somehow goats found their way into our repartee. There promises to be no logic to our content, just bits and pieces that we find on our travels.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ring is in the air!


Well it turns out we all have exam-time backgrounds. I too have adopted a mantra of sorts. Mantra? I don’t think that’s the right term. Anyway, mine reads “This too shall pass”.
The story behind it is quite long and has Jewish/Turkish Origins. Pretty much king Solomon wanted to take his chief minister down a peg or two, so sets him this obscure test; “go find a magic ring that makes sad men happy and happy men sad…my son” I’m pretty sure he would’ve said. “Also, get it done before the night of this specific festival, my son”. Night before the task it due some local jeweller works it out for him. The minister turns up to the festival with a golden ring baring the inscription “This too shall pass”.
The king realises his wealth is fleeting and he will be dust one day.
During exam-time dust is the best I can hope for.

The trick with the saying is getting it down before holidays start…nobody likes a dusty spring.

1 comment:

  1. I like this...I might adopt this mantra too for the next couple of weeks + copious amounts of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete