We struggle through life constantly trying to find each other with plaintive cries of Marco and Polo. We convene for pots of tea and discussions about everything and nothing. Somehow goats found their way into our repartee. There promises to be no logic to our content, just bits and pieces that we find on our travels.

Monday, September 7, 2009

One Three Pretty


Seeing as Marco started on the subject of Mondegreens I thought I'd share one of my own. See the thing about mondegreens is once you've misheard a lyric you always construct a narrative in which the completely illogical version makes complete sense. I somehow, misguidedly I admit, convinced myself that Lovecats by The Cure was all about a call-girl based on the fact that I thought that Robert Smith was belting out the phone number to ring for love...

...One Three One Three One Three One Three Pretty
Oh you know I'd do anything for you... 

As soon as it was suggested to me that perhaps it was instead "Wonderfully Pretty" I had to concede that it might make sense. Well, I didn't concede as much as try to fight to death because I thought I was right and everyone else was wrong. Have a listen and see if you can hear what I'm on about... 



...Still at least it's not as bad as my mother who was convinced that "I believe in miracles, you sexy thing" was "I believe in milkos".... you know, the little white chewy lollies. Hmm. 

1 comment:

  1. haha... I always thought it was
    "so wonderfully, wonderfully fitting"
    I haven't heard this song in so long, nice flashback.I think the whole prostitute take would have been very juicy... lol

    ReplyDelete